Eat the grape popsicles already!

Every time I buy popsicles (which just happens to be every time we run out, which just happens to be every week…) the only color left is grape. It doesn’t matter what brand they are, what shape or who the person choosing the color is. Grape inevitably remains left unscathed.

But what about when I buy actual grapes? They stay un-eaten approximately 1/2 of a day. Red/green or even recently I bought purple. (They were quite delectable if I do say so myself.) And so it begs the question…”Why leave the grape sicles??”

I believe I may know why. They are mis-represented. A facade. Wolves in sheep’s clothing.  There is nothing “grape” tasting about them at all. And so we feel let down, even taken advantage of…yet…when all the other colors are gone, we go for the grape… because there is no other choice.  And we find out it is not a mistake. That it is still refreshing, it still curbs our appetite for a popsicle and gets the job done.

So maybe it wasn’t our first choice.  But perhaps it should be? Why do I sit in the same spot at church? Because it never lets me down. But would another seat serve the same purpose? Even a new seat every week? What? You mean a variety?? But that would force me to remove myself from my“comfort zone.”  But who knows who I may meet or what might happen if I did??

As I went to take the photo of all the grape popsicles…I found an orange one that had gotten overlooked, hidden under a bag of frozen corn.  So I took the orange one…even though I knew I was writing about the grape ones. Why? Because we are creatures of habits. We live in the hum-drum, comfortable, same ol’ mundane routine.

I’ve been trying to incorporate “change it up” for a few months now. It hasn’t went over very well. I even took a different road getting to Zumba the other day. My neighbor who rides with me looked at me like I was a lunatic when I told her I was trying to “change it up a bit.”

This weekend when my cousins and I were in Branson we said we were going to do a few things different. Did we? NO. We should have ridden those segways..and we should have went on the zip line. Now I regret that we didn’t.  And now I regret that I ate the orange popsicle and not the grape one.

Creatures of habit….good or bad?? You tell me. I’m confused.

Oh, and by the way…I am fully aware that this post rates right up there with… “She has completely lost her mind!”

About these ads

Tags: , , ,

Categories: humor, life

Author:onemom4rugrats

I am Rachel. I have a skewed sense of reality and I like to live through my imagination. Unfortuntely, that has taken me down some rocky roads and I am here to share some snippets of what happens when a girl has a mind of her own.

Like it? Well...subscribe then! So I can haunt you via email :)

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

105 Comments on “Eat the grape popsicles already!”

1. May 12, 2011 at 10:32 am #

I am a creature of habit. Sometimes it’s not a good thing b/c it prevents me from trying anything new….sucks to be the grape popsicle in my fridge!!! :D

2. May 12, 2011 at 10:34 am #

This is odd, at my house the grape are the 2nd ones to be eaten, and the orange ones are always the ones that everyone leaves to the last. I love the grape, to me it is the orange that is more fake tasting. But I guess to each his own, lol, not two households are alike.

3. May 12, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Grape popsicles are my favourite! Send them all my way!! :D

Very inspiring post! I think I’ll do something out of the ordinary today…maybe I’ll have an orange popsicle…

• May 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

Just got back from the store…bought a whole new breed of popsicles…one being “Frog Spit….”
      Thanks for reading!

4. May 12, 2011 at 10:44 am #

OH MY GOSH! Freshly Pressed! I signed in to WordPress and said, “Hey, I know those grape popsicles.” :-)

Congratulations, girl!

• May 12, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Thank you!! I’m so excited as today is my Birthday! I was thinking earlier…would it not be awesome to get FP on my BD? Freaky-deaky!

• May 12, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Happy Birthday! Enjoy the surprise party! 8-)

5. May 12, 2011 at 10:45 am #

I prefer the grape popsicales…

6. May 12, 2011 at 10:47 am #

I completely understand the grape popsicle thing! Good thing husband likes them :)

• May 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

My husband won’t even eat them, I tried pawning them off on him last night…and he’ll eat anything!

7. the home tome
    May 12, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Yes, great reminder to change it up. Then again, if you don’t like something, you don’t have to force it on yourself (ie – you could just chuck the grape pops and make room for more cherry, yum.)

8. May 12, 2011 at 10:49 am #

Dear God, the title of this post is hilarious! Well done and congrats on Freshly Pressed!

9. May 12, 2011 at 10:50 am #

Yum. I love popsicles. And grape are the best. Congrats on Freshly Pressed.

10. May 12, 2011 at 10:54 am #

I love grape popsicles the most exactly BECAUSE they don’t taste anything like real grapes! Too bad I live in Italy, or I’d pop by and take those uneaten grape popsicles off of your hands! ;-)

11. May 12, 2011 at 11:06 am #

I love popsicles! I usually have the green ones left.

• May 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

We love them too, I have 6 in my family and we go through them by the droves!

12. May 12, 2011 at 11:07 am #

great post. congrats on FP. the four kids who call me mom won’t eat the “grape” because they taste like benadryl. hmm. now, if they made the kids go to sleep like benadryl…. ;o)

• May 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

I hear ya girl! I have four kids also! Benedryl popsicles…hmmmmmmmmmmm…..I think you are on to something!

13. May 12, 2011 at 11:25 am #

I buy the 50 pack of popcicles. I can’t remember which of the four shades of yellow is the coconut (my fave), so the yellows are the first to go. Next is red. Then the purple. Then blue. And lastly green.

• May 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

Oh, I love the yellow ones, whatever flavor they are, sometimes they are tropical something(ish). And where in the world can you find 50 count?

14. May 12, 2011 at 11:30 am #

I haven’t a popsicle since I don;t know when..but now oddly enough I am craving a purple faux Grape popsicle. Thanks.

Blessings,

Ava
    xox

15. May 12, 2011 at 11:32 am #

In a house full of frat guys, grape popsicles are the last to go because they resemble a large black man’s penis. No one wants to be caught sucking on that….

16. May 12, 2011 at 11:34 am #

I haven’t bought or eaten a popsicle in years! I wonder if I have any grape ones lurking in my freezer. Funny post and congrats on being Freshly Pressed.

17. May 12, 2011 at 11:36 am #

Congrats on Freshly Pressed. Very deserving and funny!

18. May 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

Oh boy… are we EVER creatures of habit. It’s so hilarious watching myself and my “habits.” I’m going to shake things up more, do the unexpected, be more spontaneous! Thanks for the inspiration!

• May 12, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

You are welcome! I even went to a different grocery store today in honor of my post.

19. May 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

i like this post

20. May 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

i love the grape-sicles!

21. May 12, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

I love grapes but have never enjoyed grape-flavored anything (except grape juice). Grape popsicles or candy remind me of medicine.

• Becky Lynn
      May 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

Agreed. I think grape Popsicles taste like Dimetapp. Blegh.

• May 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

Exactly!!

22. May 12, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

lol So funny!

23. May 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

I agree with fromsusanwithlove. Fake grape tastes like medicine.
    I too am a creature of habit, unless I am board, I will do things the same way so long as it works well. I love your cartoon at the end. Sometimes I feel like my brain walked out of my head.

24. May 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

I can tell you what puts everyone off the grape ones… the colour! it is some weid dark murky one- if they colored it with (yes, colored- dont know how much actual grape is in them) some bright purple colour- maybe they would not be left on the shelves…lol..

• imaginecreation
      May 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Yep, that was my thought. I’m drawn to the brightly colored ones . . . depending on the brand, they don’t taste all that different from one another. =0)

25. May 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Not to be picky… but those are freezies not popsicles. Popsicles are tasty frozen treats that come on ‘popsicle’ sticks – hence the name. Freezies are a similar tasty frozen treat, but they don’t come on a stick.

• May 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

Never heard the term “freezie” but I reckon it fits!!

26. May 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

You haven’t completely lost your mind; you have just stated everything that we all think, but much more beautifully written than most of us could write down.

I love your post!

27. Tracy López
    May 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

My freezer looks the same except it’s the Mango-flavored ones that go un-eaten here. (What is wrong with grape?!) … I have a red net full of orangish-yellow pops the kids won’t touch.

• May 12, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

A red “net…” hee hee! I love the orangish-yellow ones!

28. May 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

I’m definitely guilty of this – I never eat the grape Popsicles!

29. May 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

My kids leaving nothing when I have those things around. They don’t even leave stuff for me.

30. May 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

I read you blog, and you are talking to the mother of all habitual people (if that’s the right phrase) I am really bad, my children give out to me all the time. I just can’t break the routine. I am fifty now and still trying. A simple thing like going to a new shopping centre is a big deal for me. They drag me and I moan. A sure creature of habit I am. I will try now to change it up a bit. Ha Ha

31. May 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

We definitely are creatures of habbit. My dad always tells me that it’s good for the old brain to switch things up a bit. But do I do it? NO. Maybe one of these days I’ll stray from the old beaten path.

32. May 12, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

Hilarious! It reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons. Homer going into the freezer for Neapolitan ice cream only to find that someone ate all of the Chocolate and left the Vanilla and strawberry untouched. I love grape popsicles but only the natural types or the ones you can make your self. ( Frozen Grape and Pomegranate juice popsicles …*Drool*)

• May 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

Oh man, I’d be all over pomegranate! And yes, the “real” ones I dig. But they come like 6 in a package…doesn’t work here !!

33. May 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

just found your blog on the freshly pressed list… hilarious. Thanks for just making my afternoon. Our air conditioning is broken in our office.. and it is 94 outside.. so, you can only imagine how hot it is inside.. so with an office full of hormonal grumpy hot women… you have managed to make me laugh on a miserable day. So, thank you! And orange is always the leftover flavor in our freezer! Great post!

• May 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

Thanks for reading. If you have time, go back and read some older ones, I have a lot of funny stories on there!

34. May 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

I love grape popsicles! They’re my favorite flavor! :)

35. Jules
    May 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

I love this! I never eat the grape either. of anything, but i too love real grapes, especially green ones

• May 12, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

They should make a green/grape popsicle..I’d totally eat it.

36. May 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

37. Rlyehable
    May 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

Great post. I had to laugh, because I always leave the purple ones for last as well.

You hit the reason on the head. “There is nothing “grape” tasting about them at all.” Just like things made with cinnamon oil does not taste like cinnamon.

Next time you buy popsicles, change it up! Try the tropical ones. Not a flavor left over!

38. Char.L.Ton
    May 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

What about a hamburger “colored” popsicle? http://everythingburger.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/burger-361-popsicle/

39. May 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

What? Who is not eating the grape? Those are my favorite. There are a chilled version of my favorite cough syrup flavor as a kid, then when it has that little melted sip of grape on the bottom, yum…

40. May 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

(they are…I meant to say)

41. May 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

I’ll eat them! Grape is my favorite flavor when it comes to popsicles, candy, etc. Orange is the one I don’t touch. (But I love actual oranges!) BTW, that little drawing at the end is hilarious.

42. May 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Grape is my favourite artificial popsicle flavour ^_^.

43. May 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm #

Grape popsicles make my throat itchy. Especially those kind in the plastic. I love the others and they don’t make my throat itchy.

So maybe that’s why no one is eating them!!

44. May 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm #

To be fair, those popsicles look nasty!

45. KATHLEEN
    May 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

WOW! Thought that was a pic of MY freezer! Yup-I buy the orange, cherry and grape variety pack – but only eat the orange and cherry ones. And even though grape is gross, I hate to admit, I save them in the freezer for emergencies..

46. Marybell
    May 12, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

That is the exact same brand we always buy and my boyfriend were seriously discussing this issue last night! He came from the freezer saying “Why is it that the last popsicles left are always purple or blue?!” I love this!

47. May 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

48. May 12, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

Im rachels daughtor and i read her blog and i dont really likr the grape popcicles that much they r grose!!!!!

49. Sharon McElwrath
    May 12, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

I never even thought about that, how weird?? I love grapes but I DO NOT like anything that is grape flavored!

50. May 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

Change is good, but it is much easier said than done sometimes! I think grape popsicles are pretty yummy…

51. May 12, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

love it! so true–the key to changing it up..is realizing what we are not changing…you nailed it!

52. richardchandler
    May 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

haha, so true

53. May 12, 2011 at 11:01 pm #

I recently read the Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan kundera, and your post reminded me of some of the things he says throughout the book. In essence Kundera (borrowing from philosopher Nietzsche) claims that eternal recurrence allows us to overcome meaninglessness, and therefore obtain happiness. In other words: we crave repetition; we like sitting in the same seat, sleeping on the same side of the bed, and eating our favourite flavour popsicle; repetition is happiness- or so he says.

P.s Grape is definitely one of my favourite flavours. In my freezer, it’s the orange ones that get left behind- such a boring flavour!

54. May 12, 2011 at 11:10 pm #

I always take the grape popsicles. We’re essentially creatures of comfort, so we are easily upset by changes to our routines. It puts us outside the comfort zone. Sometimes we need that. Usually we do, but we dont.

55. May 12, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

This was a really good post; I must make a comment about the grape popsicle though. lol. Maybe we always leave them because they are the worst, given the fact that you don’t have the coconut flavored ones in the mix! Yuck! Every time I eat a “grape” popsicle, I think of chewable, children’s Tylenol.

56. May 13, 2011 at 12:52 am #

I want a grape popcicle now.

57. May 13, 2011 at 2:25 am #

Lol! This reminds me of my Mum getting annoyed with me and my brother when we would eat all the yoghurts but not the raspberry one! And if one of us had to have it as there was no other one left the other would gloat for days! Lol! :)

58. dreamxingdong
    May 13, 2011 at 3:54 am #

I prefer the grape popsicales…
    <a href=”http://www.p90x-dvd-workout.com”>p90x home fitness </a>

59. May 13, 2011 at 6:55 am #

I’m late to the party, I see! LOL Can I have a popsicle please?

Congrats on the FP. :)

60. May 13, 2011 at 7:41 am #

Nice…

61. May 13, 2011 at 8:22 am #

Seriously? I ♥ the grape popsicles. If I lived near you, I’d trade you all my non-grape popsicles for your grape ones.

62. May 13, 2011 at 8:28 am #

Haha! That’s funny. I can’t stand grape popsicles… I can’t stand anything flavored with grape! They taste a little artificial to me. But I love real grapes though. :D

Nice post!

63. May 13, 2011 at 9:41 am #

Personally?? I think it’s the color……It looks more medicinal than sugary and soothing….

64. cuamuas00
    May 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

ha ha thats funny. My daughter loves popsicles but to her every color is “orange” because that’s the only color she know. :D

65. May 14, 2011 at 7:46 am #

You could always just send them to me. I love, love, love the grapes!

66. May 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

Great post thanks for sharing. Your layout is excellent. I enjoyed reading today’s article very much.

67. thor27
    May 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Yeah it’s like you say we inhale the real deal and let
    grape popsickles or soda sit and they’re all good. Like the blog

Check out todays blog. http://thor27.wordpress.com/ The Reason Sarah Palin will get my vote for President of the United States.

68. May 14, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

That is great! We all have our favorites with variety packs!

69. May 15, 2011 at 2:09 am #

For me it’s the orange and yellow. I feel the same way about gummi bears and skittles. I should be able to buy everything in red flavor.

• May 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

That’s why I like the self-serve jelly bellies , you can pick all of one flavor!

70. May 15, 2011 at 9:44 am #

We’re the same way with the last little bit of anything in our pantry. Nobody will eat the last handful of pretzels, cheez-its, bottle of water, or cereal. it just sits there. For days. Until one of us removes the bag and throws it in the garbage. Good post!

• May 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

Thanks! I hate throwing away those little bags of “things” left…like the heel of a loaf of bread…so then I try to keep them..and they rot. LOL

71. May 17, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

I just want to know “What is Eating Gilbert Grape”?

72. We always had a bunch of the green ones left over and over again….congrats on being pressed.

73. Lol! This reminds me of my Mum getting annoyed with me and my brother when we would eat all the yoghurts but not the raspberry one! And if one of us had to have it as there was no other one left the other would gloat for days! Lol!

74. Oh, so true. Why would you market grape when it is nothing nearly like the fruit. Orange… close. Grape… not even in the ball park.

75. June 21, 2011 at 3:08 am #

Thanks for sharing content to read.

76. September 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

The grape ones are my favorite..what does that say about me….LOL Great post