What in the cat-hair? I’m an Arkie. That’s what!

There is something oxy-moronish (← YAY! another new made-up word that I will file for later use) about someone from this state of Oklahoma that I reside in asking me where I am from because of my southern accent…. but yet, it happens all too frequent.

Could it be that I use terms such as:

What in the cat-hair?”

“Oh my land agoshins!” ( I have no idea what “agoshins” means…)

*side note* My darling husband just walked in and he opened the milk and smelled it and asked it if was OK to drink. I asked him what the date was and he said March 25th to which I exclaimed:

“Well I would hope to shout!”

Anyway, here are a few more off the top of my head:

“I’m madder than a hornet!”

“That’s slicker than snot on a glass doorknob!”

“He’s meaner than a snake!”

“It’s hotter than a two-peckered billy-goat in a pepper patch!” (hi mom. sorry…<gulp>)

Anyway, you get my point I presume.  But it’s not like I am always going around saying these phrases when I am buying milk at the local grocery store right? So what is it? Well, lately my husband, the Big Injun Man, has been coming to me and telling me the same thing about him. Evidentially he can call up the local parts house where he gets a lot of his supplies and they know him. Here is the deal. There are like 6 of them he frequents. He does not identify himself nor his company. They just *know* him by his accent. I will tell you that he does have a very, very strong D-R-A-W-L…………..

That reminds me of something else… I have two biological children. The one resembling myself talks like me, sounds southern, the whole bit. My other daughter who has not lived with her dad for years (who is a Yank by the way…) was born and raised here in Oklahoma but sounds just like him! Weirdness! She says “pen” instead of “pin” for “pen.”  I say “pin.” She says “my best frand” instead of “my best freend.” I mean for the love of Pete! How will she get by in this world talking like that? And then on the other side of the fence are my 2 step kids. They were both born and raised in Oklahoma their entire lives, yet they have no accent! At least not to me.

And so after thinking about it on a deeper level,  both him and I are transplanted here in Oklahoma after growing up in Arkansas. I have decided that Okies are not really true, blue, born and bred hillbillies. Yes…they claim to be. They pretend to have these fabulous hick accents…but they hold no candle to us Arkies. I have stood out from the day I have moved here and so has my husband.

At least we are identifiable in sea of wanna-be hillbillies!

Share your slang from your part of the world on the “comments” section. It will be fun to see how it differs!

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: culture, funny, humor

Author:onemom4rugrats

I am Rachel. I have a skewed sense of reality and I like to live through my imagination. Unfortuntely, that has taken me down some rocky roads and I am here to share some snippets of what happens when a girl has a mind of her own.

Like it? Well...subscribe then! So I can haunt you via email :)

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

14 Comments on “What in the cat-hair? I’m an Arkie. That’s what!”

1. harrythehandyman
    March 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Mucker:=Mate,friend

“Alrite mucker hows about ye?”

Ballax:=Bollocks, talking rubbish

“Aye ballax mate”

Dander:=Go for a walk

“I’m going for a wee dander”

Knock ure ballax in:= Give someone a kicking or a hideing

“I’m gonna knock ure ballax in if ye do that!”

Melted:=Your heads caved in you can’t think straight.

“Aww i’m totally melted mate”

Nah:= No

“Nah mate it’s not happening!”

Oh mummy:= Oh sh1t

“Oh mummy I can’t handle this”

Poleaxed:= Drunk , Drunk cut, to be totally cut

“I’m poleaxed mate”

Scundered:- To be embarrassed

“Ure scundered”

tatty bread:= Someome who is dead or left for dead or completely worn out

“He’s tatty bread.”

Ure man there:= That man over there

“Did you see yer man over there?”

Wind yer neck in:= Asking someone to act more sensibly and to calm down.

“Heer mucker, wind yer neck in!”

Wee:= Small

“She’s a lovely wee girl”

2. harrythehandyman
    March 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

i left you a few slang words/sayings from Ulster ( Northern Ireland ) there are more if you want them :)

harry

• March 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

Ahh thanks Harry! I love it! I’m going to try using some of them and see what people around here would say.. :)

3. March 17, 2011 at 6:01 am #

“He has a few ‘roos loose in the top paddock”

“A sandwich short of a picnic.”

“That’s up the back of Bourke.” = long way away

“Built like a brick shithouse.” = big bloke. Bloke = man.

Cockie : farmer (Farmers were called cockies in the early days of European settlement because, like the birds of the same name, they made their homes on the edges of permanent waterholes)

“Mad as a cut snake” = VERY angery

There’s a few Aussie ones!

• March 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

I love it! Thank you for sharing, these are so fun!

• March 18, 2011 at 2:44 am #

We use the sandwich/picnic and the brick s$%#house ones here, too. We say “meaner than a snake.”

4. March 17, 2011 at 6:02 am #

Oh, and that is Australia, not Austria. Do you know Austrians wear t-shirts saying “We are not Australians”

• March 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

I could see where they would get tired of the two being confused!

5. March 18, 2011 at 2:40 am #

“Well, I suwannee” –I swear, I’ll be darned. My grandma’s favorite

“What’s good for the goose, is good for the gander.” –What’s ok for one is ok for all. My husband’s aunt says this with the BEST southern drawl ever.

“Cut it on” –the opposite of “cut it off”. Still don’t know how you cut “on” something.

“coon’s age”–a long time

“Slicker than owl snot”–very slick.

“God willin and the creek don’t rise.”–If all goes according to plan or a simple prayer that all will go as planned.

There’s a few from Kentucky (my hometown) and Savannah, Georgia (my husband’s hometown and our current location).

6. March 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

I’ve heard all of them except “cut it on?” Is he the only one who says that?

• March 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

Nope, he’s not. It’s most commonly used like this “Cut on the air conditioner! It’ hot in here!” Although, it can be used in reference to turning on a previously disconnected utility. “I have to pay the phone bill to get the phone cut back on.” ?!

7. Christi Stavely
    March 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

I love you Rachel. You are a fabulous writer! If you ever write a book, I want to edit it. We could southernize it real good! Slicker’n otter snot!

• March 22, 2011 at 12:38 am #

Yes we could Christi! Hey, you’ll be the first I call to edit it girlfriend!

8. cyndi
    December 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

Has anyone heard that “it’s coming a hemmi flume” ?